Book Reviews from Christian E-Authors

Christian E-Authors post excerpts and links to reviews of e-books and books from small presses. Books may be fiction or nonfiction; Christian or secular; adult, young adult, or children - but all recommended books will be family-friendly.

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Book Proposals That Sell --by Terry Whalin

This is a terrific resource, written by Christian writer/editor W. Terry Whalin. This is published by a small press and available in e-book or trade paperback.


After publishing eight works of fiction, I am working on my first
non-fiction book, so Terry Whalin’s handbook has arrived right on time
for me. I am so pleased I haven’t submitted my book proposal to a publisher
based on the tips I’d gleaned from other sources–Terry’s book spells
out exactly what I need to do to grab an editor’s attention.

I already knew that publishers contract writers of non-fiction based on
their proposal, as opposed to a full manuscript. Terry expands on this
fact and not only explains why, but enlightens the reader on the daily
activities of the average editor. He then provides twenty-one tips for preparing a
proposal that will sell. Some are pieces of advice which at first seem
like common sense, “Always take the attitude of a learner,” but Terry takes
it a step further. He provides real-life examples of how this statement
relates to, and can help, the writer. Other tips gear the writer toward making
a superb presentation–telling why he or she should write that book. How
to make sure the writer gets a response on his proposal.

Finally, Terry provides a sample book proposal, one which did result in
a sale. I highly recommend this handbook to any writer who wishes to sell
their non-fiction manuscript.

Order this book here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home